VLADIMIR VASILYEV BECAME A NEW RACE LEADER!
For the VRT G-Energy Team and the X-raid Team, the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge has been started with a great performance.
After the fourth place on the first stage in the desert, Vasilyev and his Russian co-driver Konstantin Zhiltsov took their MINI ALL4 Racing to the lead on the second stage and in the overall standings became a leader 44" seconds ahead of Polish Marek Dabrowski. The third place goes to Arabian pilot Yahya Alhelei, who finished the second stage 10 minutes behind the leader.
Vladimir Vasilyev: "Today the dunes were very dangerous, with a lot of dumpings therefore we should pass it very accurately. Tried to drive without mistakes. We managed to drive without any mistakes. We saw Nani having problems with health, and we passed also Eric Van Loon who was stopped on the track with some technical problems".
Konstantin Zhiltsov: “At the beginning of the stage there were many slanting and curve dunes therefore we began a special stage accurately and carefully since knew that a place here are very peculiar. We drove in a good rhythm, accurately doing attention that here are the sharp dunes with dumpings. At the end, when we went on the saline soil, I looked in the road book, and we hit in a hummock, something began to wheeze in helmets, or maybe in brains…. Seriously, everything was really good. Especially, the car, we love it very much".
Meanwhile, German pairing Stephan Schott/Andreas Schulz delivered in consistent style on both days by finishing 10th and sixth respectively and currently hold sixth position in the overall standings, Dutch pairing Eric van Loon/Wouter Rosegaar hold 20th position, Kazakh Aidyn Rakhimbayev and his Russian navigator Anton Nikolayev took their MINI ALL4 Racing to 31st and ninth positions respectively, in the first two stages of the event.
“Vladimir delivered in great style and is the deserved leader," said Team Manager Sven Quandt. “Nani unfortunately felt bad today, and consequently, it was an extremely tough day for him. But we hope that he will be able to really go for it again, in the final stages. And 'Schotti' once again demonstrates that Abu Dhabi suits him particularly well."
Results Stage 1:
1. N. Roma (ESP) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 25m 22s
2. M. Dabrowski (POL) / J. Czachor (POL) Toyota – 3h 36m 51s
3. E. Van Loon (NDL) / W. Rosegaar (NDL) MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 39m 53s
4. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / K. Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 43m 16s
5. R. Varela (BRA) / G. Gugelmin (BRA) Toyota – 3h 43m 33s
10. S. Schott (GER) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 22m 22s
31. A. Rakhimbayev (KAZ) / A. Nikolaev (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing - 6h 48m 13s
Results Stage 2:
1. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / K. Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 46m 48s
2. M. Dabrowski (POL) / J. Czachor (POL) Toyota – 3h 53m 59s
3. Y. Al Helei (ARE) / K. Alkendi (ARE) Nissan – 3h 56m 34s
4. A. Malysz (POL) / R. Marton (POL) Toyota – 3h 57m 15s
5. M. Zapletal (CZE) / M. Marton (POL) H3 – 3h 59m 19s
6. S. Schott (GER) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 05m 21s
9. A. Rakhimbayev (KAZ) / A. Nikolaev (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing - 4h 13m 40s
18. N. Roma (ESP) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 59m 04s
26. E. Van Loon (NDL) / W. Rosegaar (NDL) MINI ALL4 Racing – 5h 22m 13s
Overall Results after Stage 2:
1. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / K. Zhiltsov (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing – 7h 32m 12s
2. M. Dabrowski (POL) / J. Czachor (POL) Toyota – 7h 32m 56s
3. A. Malysz (POL) / R. Marton (POL) Toyota – 7h 53m 34s
4. M. Zapletal (CZE) / M. Marton (POL) H3 – 8h 00m 03s
5. Y. Al Helei (ARE) / K. Alkendi (ARE) Nissan – 8h 09m 20s
6. S. Schott (GER) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI ALL4 Racing – 8h 29m 59s
9. E. Van Loon (NDL) / W. Rosegaar (NDL) MINI ALL4 Racing – 9h 04m 14s
19. N. Roma (ESP) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 10h 26m 31s
24. A. Rakhimbayev (KAZ) / A. Nikolaev (RUS) MINI ALL4 Racing - 11h 04m 07s
"A challenge for those who go on. A dream for those who stay behind." This is how the founder of the Dakar Rally, Thierry Sabine, once described his inspiration for the most fascinating rally event on the international motorsport calendar. Since 1978, courageous drivers on motorcycles, quads, in cars and trucks have been demonstrating their ability as they make their way through the desert on the world's most infamous endurance rally.
Up to 2008, the event was held exclusively in Africa, and was initially known as the "Paris-Dakar Rally" due to the location of its start and finish. Over the course of time, the route and the start and finish locations have changed several times. In 1995 the rally started elsewhere other than Paris for the first time. "Paris-Dakar" became "Dakar". Then, in 2009, the unsettled political situation in some African countries saw the event moved to South America, where it has been held since – and has lost none of its original appeal.
All this makes the Dakar Rally a unique challenge for man and machine. Unlike rallies such as those in the World Rally Championship (WRC), this marathon rally does not take place on designated, blocked-off roads and routes, but on open, largely unmarked terrain. Each entrant must first and foremost rely on his/her driving skills.
The competitors must complete up to 800 kilometres per day – a nerve-wracking, two-week marathon, during which the organisers only allow the drivers one rest day. No wonder more than 50% of entrants retire from the Dakar Rally each year. Whatever happens, every day will be an exciting day once the Dakar Rally gets underway again in January 2014.
Date of birth: 11.08.1969
Hobbies: rallys, hunting, winemaking
Place of birth: Tver / RUS
Family status: married, 3 daughters and one son
Place of residence: St. Petersburg / RUS
10th place Dakar 2014 3rd place OiLibya Rally of Morocco 16th place Dakar - Best first time entrant 2nd place Silk Way Rally 1st place Russian Rally Raid Championship 2nd place Russian Rally Raid Championship 1st place Italian Baja 3rd place Baja Spain Italian Baja Silk Way Rallye - One stage win First Rally Raid participation
Date of birth: 19.05.1977
Hobbies: cross-country rally, alpine skiing, parachute, wakeboarding
Place of birth: Dnepropetrovsk / UKR Familienstand: married, 2 daughters
Place of residence: Dnepropetrovsk / UKR
10th place Dakar 2014 3rd place OiLibya Rally of Morocco 16th place Dakar - Best first time entrant 2nd place Silk Way Rally 1st place Russian Rally Raid Championship 2nd place Russian Rally Raid Championship 1st place Italian Baja 3rd place Baja Spain